Business News Politics

TRUMP THREATENS CRUSHING ECONOMIC ACTION AGAINST COUNTRIES DOING BUSINESS WITH IRAN  

United States President Donald Trump has warned that his administration will impose severe economic consequences on any country that continues to assist or do business with Iran. The threat signals a fresh escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against Tehran.

According to reports from Washington on Tuesday, Trump said he was prepared to launch what he described as the most crushing economic operation ever imposed against a country. He accused the Islamic Republic of failing to reach a new agreement with the United States on its nuclear and missile programmes.

The President’s warning comes less than 24 hours after the United Arab Emirates, a key US ally in the Middle East, announced plans to cut financial and economic ties with Iran. Abu Dhabi cited a new missile threat from Tehran as the reason for the decision, a move that aligns with the US stance on containing Iran’s influence in the region.

However, Trump did not provide specific details on the nature of the sanctions or penalties that would be applied to countries found to be violating the warning. Analysts say the vague threat is aimed at deterring trade partners and forcing them to choose between business with Washington or Tehran.

The development is expected to have implications for global oil markets and international trade, especially for countries in Asia, Europe and Africa that still maintain economic ties with Iran. Nigeria, which has had limited direct trade with Tehran in recent years, could also feel indirect effects through oil price fluctuations and diplomatic pressure.

Experts note that the US has previously used sweeping sanctions to isolate Iran, targeting its oil exports, banking sector and shipping networks. A new round of “crushing” measures, if implemented, could further restrict Iran’s access to the global financial system and push more countries to sever ties.

The White House is yet to release a formal policy document outlining the proposed actions. For now, the Trump administration says it is waiting to see which countries comply with the warning before deciding on the next steps in what it calls efforts to ensure global security and prevent nuclear proliferation.

Ini Patrick

About Author

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like

News

Pope Francis Dies on Easter Monday

  Pope Francis, the head of the Catholic Church, passed away on Easter Monday, April 21, 2025, at the age
News

Inspector General of Police orders withdrawal of mobile police officers from VIPs nationwide

Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun has directed the immediate withdrawal of Police Mobile Force personnel from providing security services to